Friday, November 16, 2018

Apple Gingerbread




Novembrrrrr.

This has been a pretty chilly fall here in the upper Midwest, and a winter storm advisory has just been posted for tonight, with perhaps 3 to 5 inches of snow in the forecast....And I still haven't finished clearing the last (I hope) layer of leaves off of my deck.

What better time to fill the house with the warm fragrances of fall. Apples. Cinnamon. And ginger, All it took was the featured price of molasses at Aldi--about half the cost from the other stores in town--for me to begin thinking of homemade gingerbread.

Now my mother's old, old recipe for gingerbread is reliable and great, but I wanted to see if I could add in some of the many apples I have right now. Off to the internet, where I found that most of the recipes for "apple gingerbread" were for upside-down cakes, with a layer of caramelized apples put in the pan, with the gingerbread batter poured over. Not a bad idea, but it wasn't what I had in mind.

I finally found something similar to what I was looking for, so I started experimenting and came up with this version. So far, all those who have tasted it have given it rave reviews, so I hope you will find it equally delicious.

One note:  Probably the longest part of the preparation here is chopping or grating the apples. If you have a small food processor, or a chopping attachment like this one for my immersion blender, use it! This is a time when those little extra kitchen appliances can really be worth having.










Apple Gingerbread
Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c packed  brown sugar
  • 1/2 c canola oil
  • 2 T frozen apple juice concentrate (see NOTE)
  • 1/2 c molasses
  • 1/3 c water
  • 2 c flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1 t soda
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 1 T ground ginger
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2 c coarsely chopped or grated apples--about 1 pound or so; press the apples a little into the cup

Directions
1.  Combine the egg, brown sugar, and oil and beat together until well mixed. Stir in the molasses, apple juice concentrate, and water until fully incorporated. 
2.  Sift or whisk together the dry ingredients and gradually add to the liquid mixture. Stir until completely blended. Fold in the apples.
3.  Pour the batter into a 10 inch round pan or a 7 X 11 pan that has been well oiled or sprayed with cooking spray. 
4.  Bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for about 38 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5.  Allow to cool about 5 to 10 minutes before turning out of the pan.  Notice the cracks in gingerbread top below; there is nothing to worry about when this happens--really!  




This may be served warm or cold--but the very best way is when it is still warm, with a good dollop of whipped cream on the top!


NOTE:  If you don't have apple juice concentrate, substitute 1/2 cup apple juice or cider for the juice concentrate and water.



-->

No comments:

Post a Comment