Chocolate Bread Pudding
1 t butter
2 c roughly torn bread pieces, about 2 inches or so in diameter
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c sugar (may increase to 1/3 c if a sweeter pudding is desired)
1 1/2 T baking cocoa
8 oz can evaporated milk (or 1/2 15 oz can)
1/4 c milk
1 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1. Melt butter in bottom of 9 inch pie pan or 8 inch casserole dish.
2. If the bread has not been previously dried, spread the chunks in the pan and put in 250 degree oven while preparing the remaining mixture.
3. Mix together the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, and evaporated milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat about 3 minutes at low to medium power, level 4 to 5, stirring occasionally. The mixture should be warmed and the chips beginning to melt.
4. Remove the chocolate from the microwave and beat in the eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir until very well mixed.
5. If the oven has been at 250 degrees to dry the bread, remove the bread from the oven and increase the heat to 325 degrees.
6. Add the dried bread pieces to the chocolate and egg mixture and stir just until well mixed. Pour all back into the prepared pie pan or casserole dish.
7. Bake at 325 for about 15 to 20 minutes, just until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 5 to 7 or 8.