Pimento Cheese Spread
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese, softened
1/2 c diced Velveeta or similar processed cheese, softened
2 to 3 T finely chopped sweet onion
2 to 3 T bottled red peppers, coarsely chopped (for today's batch, I used fire roasted red peppers from Aldi)
about 1/3 c plain yogurt
NOTE--to "soften" the cheeses, allow to come to room temperature or place in the microwave at the very lowest setting for only a few seconds. You don't want to melt or cook them, only to get them soft enough to cream easily. If you have the oven going and have a "hot spot" where it vents, that is an ideal spot to put the cheeses for a brief period.
1. Combine the cheeses and onion and blend until smooth, either with a wood spoon or with a mixer or processor.
2. Fold in the chopped peppers and enough yogurt to make the mixture somewhat thinner than ultimately desired. Chill for an hour or so.
3. If desired, add hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, or cayenne pepper for added bite.
Makes about a cup of spread.
Egg Salad Sandwich Filling
6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 to 1/3 c yogurt
1 to 2 t sugar
1 t prepared yellow mustard
seasoning salt to taste
1. Chop the eggs to preferred consistency. I use a pastry blender for the quickest mixing.
2. Stir in the sugar, mustard, and seasoning salt.
3. Gradually add the yogurt, stirring until the desired consistency is reached.
4. Chill for an hour or so to blend flavors.